Scientific Instructional Designer
Location: Pleasanton, CA
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium platform is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology. Learn more at 10xgenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Scientific Instructional Designer
The Scientific Instructional Designer is a key member of the Commercial Team. This role reports to the Senior Marketing Manager, Content Writing in the Brand and Marketing Communications department. This role is primarily responsible for development of content to enhance customer education, training, and learning. A scientific background and experience in instructional design will make you an excellent candidate for this position.
- Work with subject matter experts to identify technical target audience’s training needs
- Work with 10x Genomics Support team and Training Manager to develop a training plan and curriculum with set instructional end goals and create engaging learning activities and compelling course content to meet goals
- Visualize instructional graphics, the user interface and the finished product
- Analyze and apply trends and best practices in learning technologies and instructional design
- Provide exercises and activities that enhance the learning process
- Create supporting material/media (audio, video, simulations, role plays, games etc.)
- Devise modes of assessment, such as tests or quizzes, to measure the effectiveness of the course
- Manage training tool and maintain project documentation and course folders
- Coordinate routing and review of content in compliance with 10x Genomics Document Control requirements
- Follow 10x Genomics voice and tone in development of scientific and technical content. Review and evaluate content for compliance with desired message, voice, tone, and style
- Work collaboratively with the Creative Services team to generate creative concepts
- Work collaboratively in a team environment composed of Designers, Marcomm Operations, Support Scientists, Training Specialists, and TechComm, along with external agencies and contractors to execute content creation
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a master’s degree; PhD, or other advanced degree is preferred, in a relevant field (such as genetics, genomics, biomedical, bioinformatics, biostatistics, or computational biology). Ability to understand and interpret genetic/genomic data required.
- More than 5 years writing experience related to scientific, diagnostic, or medical content.
- Previous working experience in instructional design for 3+ years. Training in instructional design, educational technology or similar relevant field a plus
- In-depth knowledge of learning theories and instructional design models
- Lesson and curriculum planning skills
- Visual design skills
- Ability to write effective copy, instructional text, audio and video scripts
- Experience working with learning management system (LMS), Bridge a plus
Desired Skills and Background
- Knowledge of GSuite, Atlassian/Confluence and Internet proficiencies are preferred.
- Adobe InDesign and html experience a plus.
- Experience with Workfront or comparable project management system and digital asset management system.