Patent Agent – Life Sciences
Location: Pleasanton, California
10x Genomics builds products and services that interrogate, understand and master biology to advance human health. Our products have been adopted by researchers around the world and have been cited in research papers on discoveries across the life sciences, including oncology, immunology and neuroscience. We are proud to have our products utilized by 93 of the top 100 global research institutions and 13 of the top 15 global pharmaceutical companies.
Come and join the 10x difference and be a part of a dynamic experience that will take you from scientific curiosity to discovery. By joining our team, you collaborate with highly skilled colleagues and become an integral part in helping our customers discover breakthroughs that will help transform the world in the coming decades.
We are seeking an entrepreneurial, motivated and experienced patent agent to play a primary role with the company’s strategic IP efforts worldwide. This patent agent will have a critical role in supporting 10x Genomics’ business in connection with IP portfolio objectives and management, and contribute on an individual basis to patent prosecution and maintenance.
● Strategic contributor to the drafting, filing, prosecution, and maintenance of 10x’s worldwide patent portfolio. Able to provide hands-on direction and input to outside counsel, and to draft/review a wide variety of work product, including patent applications and office action responses. Able to contribute to global patent strategy as needed over time with a focus on alignment of the patent portfolio with 10x’s business needs, priorities and resources.
● Interact with R&D at all levels, including group leaders and team members, to identify patent-worthy inventions and secure patents on 10x innovations
● Strategic contributor to IP due diligence, technology assessments and FTO analyses in potential strategic transactions (including M&A, licensing and financing)
● Assist 10x counsel and outside counsel on IP-related proceedings, challenges, disputes and litigation
Required Skills and Background
● Admission to the United States Patent & Trademark Office Bar
● Solid knowledge of global intellectual property laws & practices
● Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in life sciences, biotechnology or closely related patent areas with a strong preference for in-house experience
● Experienced in managing complex patent portfolios & strategies and developing commercially-relevant patent assets
● Experience in adverse proceedings (e.g., litigation, USPTO proceedings, EPO oppositions) is a plus
● Advanced degree (preferably a Ph.D.) in biochemistry, molecular biology or chemistry; a strong technological aptitude for learning and working with a range of technologies; and a willingness to learn and engage with 10X employees and outside counsel in other technology areas including microfluidics, instrumentation, and software
● Excellent writing, communication, organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
● Strong interpersonal skills and ability to strategically educate and support fellow employees
● Self-directed and proactive, comfortable executing on multiple projects independently and in collaboration with others
● Experience managing outside counsel is a plus